Friday, April 22, 2011

My Passport renewal Experience

Had my passport expired and wanted to renew it. Thought of writing it here so that it will help some people who are yet to renew their passport.

http://passport.gov.in/ is the website where we shall get all related details.

1. We can download the application form from the above site and get appointment to visit the passport office.
2. To renew we need two solid address proof.  Old passport can be considered as one address proof when there is no address change. Otherwise bank passbook can be used. Ration card is not accepted as address proof.  List of documents can be found in the below link.
http://passport.gov.in/cpv/checklist.htm
3. When I entered Madurai passport office, there is a long queue for certification verification. They rejected my application just because I wrote one reference address in pen. I went to ex-servicemen and filled-in a new application which had some other date of appointment. Very frustrated and left that office.
4. Second time I went there and since I had ration card as address proof they rejected my application.
5. My native is in Aruppukottai which falls in Virudhunagar district. So I went to Virudhunagar collectorate and gave 200 to get D.D and filled-in application form. This time my application entered into the system.
6. I got police verification in two weeks and they asked me to come to the police station. I went to Aruppukottai police station and waited for 3 hours to see superindent of police. He asked me two or three questions and its over.
7. I got a letter from madurai passport office saying that I need to submit the damage sworn affidavit. In fact my old passport is not at all damaged and I went there and submitted. Passport office asked me some basic questions.
8. Finally in three weeks I got the passport.

Here comes the interesting part, following are the differences in 10 years.

1. Process is very fast. In one week you can get a tatkal passport and in three weeks you can get normal passport if you have all the documents.
2. Some passport officers are very kind in nature and they are really helping the needy people.
3. Having ex-serviceman booth in passport office is really a good idea.
4. Still some passport officers are not people friendly. This is not changed even in the last 10 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment